Gum disease is a periodontal infection that weakens the gum tissue and bone structure in the mouth. Advanced gum disease leads to the loss of bone and teeth. We want to help you stay safe from gum disease by providing you with a list of its symptoms and risk factors.
You can treat and even reverse gum disease if it is detected in its earliest stages. We encourage you to schedule a visit with the dentist right away if you notice the following symptoms of gum disease:
– Gums that are red, inflamed, or swollen
– Bleeding gums after brushing and flossing
– Gum recession that causes teeth to look longer
– The formation of periodontal pockets between the gums and teeth
– Changes in the way your teeth fit together
– Oozing from the gums
– Chronic bad breath or an unexplained bad taste
– Loose teeth
You may be more at risk of developing gum disease if you are subject to any of these risk factors:
– Smoking or tobacco use
– Hormonal changes in girls and pregnant women
– Frequent stress
– Certain medications that have side effects such as dry mouth
– Some pre-existing medical conditions
– Genetics that are predisposed toward gum disease
Even if you meet any of these risk factors, you can take steps to prevent gum disease, such as caring for your smile with consistent dental care habits.
Please feel free to contact Canyon Dental Care at (505) 278.7007 today if you would like to learn more about gum disease in Farmington, New Mexico, and schedule a visit with our dentist, Dr. Ryan Wilson.