Protect your teeth at all costs when dealing with foods and drinks. Everything you put into your mouth has the chance to derail your oral health. Sometimes, even the most innocuous products could damage your teeth due to variations in texture and size. Sucking on a mini candy cane may seem harmless enough, but chomping down on the oversized candy cane sticks could spell immediate oral disaster.
Protect yourself when eating, and always use discretion. Here are some products that can damage your teeth:
– Giant pieces of hard candy or foodstuffs can chip or crack your teeth. Even giant bars of chocolate may hold up like concrete when bitten into. Exercise caution with all hard food products.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco can stain your teeth, greatly elevate your chance for gum disease, and promote tooth decay.
– Although chewing on ice may seem safe and healthy as it is only frozen water, the reality is that you can easily chip or crack your teeth on ice cubes.
– Try to avoid sugary drinks and foods. Bacteria can build up on your teeth in a layer called plaque, which can convert the sugars from foods and drinks into harmful acids that can eat through tooth enamel and cause cavities.
– Never use your teeth to open soda cans or bottles. Doing so can crack or chip your teeth very easily.
If you need a professional cleaning at Canyon Dental Care, schedule an appointment with Dr. Ryan Wilson, by calling our office in Farmington, New Mexico. We can be reached at (505) 278.7007. We remain committed to keeping your smile bright for many years to come.