Gum disease is a deteriorating oral condition where plaque builds up on your teeth and gums. This film of harmful bacteria and food residue forms into plaque, and as plaque hardens, it turns into tartar, which brushing and flossing alone cannot remove. The good news is that gum disease can be treated with the help of our team at Canyon Dental Care. To prevent gum disease from harming your smile, you can take the following measures:
– Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco at all costs. Tobacco can cause gum disease, and can even lead to cancer or death.
– Although you really cannot prevent hormonal changes, it is important to know that hormone changes in women and young girls can increase the chance for gingivitis to develop, which is an early stage of gum disease.
– Diabetes can increase your risk for gum disease, along with a host of other diseases.
– Various medications can increase the risk of gum disease by causing your mouth to dry easier, preventing saliva from protecting your teeth and gums. Be sure to speak with your dentist at Canyon Dental Care about what medications you may be taking.
– A poor diet will not only increase your risk for gum disease but it can also increase your risk for a host of other issues. Always maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Gum disease has many stages of severity, many of which can be reversed. To learn more or to schedule a visit with Dr. Ryan Wilson, we invite you to call our office in Farmington, New Mexico, at (505) 278.7007. Stop gum disease in its tracks today!